BookaholicCat

The Bookaholic Cat

Reviews and More From an Avid reader.

Nightlife
Matthew Quinn Martin
Silverthorn
Raymond E. Feist
Desert Warrior (Silhouette Desire, #1529)
Nalini Singh
Promise of Blood
Brian McClellan
Hunted - Kevin Hearne Originally posted at The Bookaholic Cat

Hunted is the sixth book in The Iron Druid Chronicles by Kevin Hearne.

Hunted starts days after events in Trapped (fifth book). Atticus, Granuaile and Oberon are in Europe and they are being chase by the Roman and Greek goddess of the hunt.
After getting some invaluable help from the Morrigan they learned that the only way to escape Diana and Artemis is to run all the way to England. What Atticus and gang didn’t know was that the Roman and Greek pantheons were not the only ones with the “kill Atticus” agenda. A simple run to Europe becomes a battleground full of traps and treachery or as I call it, another day in Atticus’ life.

The Iron Druid Chronicles is one of my favorite urban fantasy series, one I’m always looking forward to read, but sadly Hunted was my least favorite book in this series to date. I’m not saying I didn’t like it or that the book was bad, because that’s not it. It just that (in my opinion) Hunted was not as excellent as previous books, it was just good.
I like action in a book but I also like slow moments; when the action is non-stop from beginning to end without any moment to wind-down it gets a bit too much and that was my problem with Hunted. From page one to almost the very end Atticus, Granuaile and Oberon are on the run; they can’t stop to even have a simple meal without something or somebody accosting them, this is good and entertaining for a while but when there is nothing else it gets a bit tedious, I got tired running along with them, so much that I had to put down the book many times, at the end it took me three days to finish this book when normally I would had read it in a day.

Atticus is still the smart, funny, caring, and loving character we love. Granuaile is coming to terms with what it means being a Druid and she grows a lot in this installment. We see not only more character development but also relationship developments.
Oberon continues to be a breath of fresh air; his opinion and comments help to light up dark and unhappy circumstances. I have said it before and I say it again, I think Oberon is one of the best sidekicks ever.

We see characters from previous books and are introduced to new ones. We also learned some truths but many are still left to be discovered.

Mr. Hearne’s writing is better than ever, the way he includes characters from folklore and mythology is masterfully done. In Hunted he shows us once again that his imagination has no limits. The story develops with many twists, turns and tricks along the way. One thing I noticed was that the tone in this book is somehow darker and less humorous compared to previous books. I think I prefer the lighter tone of previous books.

Despite my problems with Hunted I can say that it was a good and entertaining book and a must read for fan of this series. I don’t recommend reading Hunted as a stand-alone.